Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Week 6 Blog #ETLEAD


Amber Hanson
Week 6 Blog
#Etlead

Essential Question: What does play have to do with embracing change and how does this impact you as a professional?




When I first read our Essential question for the week, a poem I heard long ago came into mind.  It was one I read about 7 years ago in a pre-school classroom that I was observing.  In fact, it was one of the first classrooms I observed while beginning my trek to becoming an educator myself.  It really helped put the term ‘playing’ into perspective, at least in terms on how we see children play.  The poem is as follows:


Just Playing
When I am building in the block room,
Please don’t say I’m “Just Playing.”
For, you see, I’m learning as I play,
About balance and shapes.
Who knows, I may be an architect someday.
When I am getting all dressed up,
Setting the table, caring for the babies,
Don’t get the idea I’m “Just Playing.”
For, you see, I’m learning as I play.
I’m expressing myself and being creative.
I may be an artist or an inventor someday.
When you see me sitting in a chair
“Reading” to an imaginary audience,
Please don’t laugh and think I’m “Just Playing.”
For, you see, I’m learning as I play.
I may be a teacher someday.
When you see me combing the bushes for bugs,
Or packing my pockets with choice things I find,
Don’t pass it off as “Just Play.”
For, you see, I’m learning as I play.
I may be a scientist someday.
When you see me engrossed in a puzzle or some
“plaything” at my school,
Please don’t feel that time is wasted in “Play.”
For, you see, I’m learning as I play.
I’m learning to solve problems and concentrate.
I may be in business some day.
When you see me cooking or tasting foods,
Please don’t think that because I enjoy it, it is “Just Play.”
For, you see, I’m learning as I play.
I’m learning to follow directions and see differences.
I may be a cook someday.
When you see me learning to skip, hop, run, and move my body,
Please don’t say I’m “Just Playing.”
For, you see, I’m learning as I play.
I’m learning how my body works.
I may be a doctor, nurse, or athlete someday.
When you ask me what I’ve done at school today,
And I say, I “Just played.”
Please don’t misunderstand me.
For, you see, I’m learning as I play.
I’m learning to enjoy and be successful at my work,
I’m preparing for tomorrow.
Today, I am a child and my work is play.

Anita Wadley

My first teaching job was as an ECE teacher out here in Gambell, AK.  At this age (3 and 4 year olds) children spend a lot of time at ‘learning labs’ in which they explore, manipulate and create things.  Each lab was explicitly designed to foster student’s designed to learn and explore.  At a young age we encourage children to play, we encourage them to learn about the world around them.  We encourage them to develop their own opinions, to build upon what they already know about the world and to make meaning of everything around them. 

So what happens, as we grow older?  Sadly, the term ‘play’ dramatically loses it’s positive connotation, and is often referred to as a waste of time, or an excuse for being lazy.  “Play is traditionally viewed as applying only to young children. Play seems to be something you have to give up when you grow up” (Rieber, 1996).  But what people don’t seem to realize, is that without play, we are stifling ourselves.  We are preventing ourselves from exploring new concepts, from embracing change and building upon what we already know.  In the article Why Play Matters for Both Kids and Adults, the authors express that “play isn’t a luxury—it’s a necessity. Play is as important to our physical and mental health as getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising” (    )

By allowing time for ourselves as adults to play, to learn, we are allowing ourselves to continually be open for change.  We are opening ourselves to the idea that thoughts, views, and concepts are not static.  We are admitting that we really don’t know everything there is to know about everything.  By playing and experiencing new concepts for ourselves we are allowing ourselves to learn in a fun and meaningful way.  Why should we play?  What can we benefit from play as adults? Play has several lifelong benefits.  Play has to ability to:
1.     connect us to others
2.     foster creativity, flexibility, and learning
3.     be used as an antidote to loneliness, isolation, anxiety, and depression
4.     teach us perseverance
5.     make us happy
6.     help us develop and improve social skills

“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” – George Bernard Shaw




References
Kemp, G., Smith, M., DeKoven, B., Segal, J. (2013). Play Creativity, and Livelong Learning: Why Play matters for Both Kids and Adults from HelpGuide.  Retreived from http://www.helpguide.org/life/creative_play_fun_games.htm

Rieber, L. P. (1996). Seriously considering play: Designing interactive learning environments based on the blending of microworlds, simulations, and games.
Educational Technology Research & Development, 44(2), 43-58

Thomas, D., & Brown, J. S. (2011). A new culture of learning: cultivating the imagination for a world of constant change.

No comments:

Post a Comment