Monday, November 18, 2013

Philosophy of Adaptation-#ETLEAD


“Creatively adapting to change on our path to life-long learning”





           
Identifying reoccurring themes that occurred throughout my research, as well as important terms I felt embodied the concept of “21st Century Learning” helped build the foundation for my motto. This compilation of terms were combined to create an image using the online program Tagxedo. From there I pinpointed the terms I felt were the most important and proceeded to develop my motto.

I chose this motto because I believe one of the key skills a person needs in order to successfully adjust to the 21st Century Learning is the ability to adapt to change. The concept of change is an idea that I encountered several times throughout my research.  Adapting to change is also one of the key components identified in the Partnership for 21st Century Skills Framework (2009). Simply adapting to change isn’t enough, however, we must do it in a way that is creative, innovative and in a way that prepares students to be learners for life.   

Several resources influenced the direction I took with my motto.  One resource I found that I would like to share is a PowerPoint by Kim Cofino. I believe this presentation does an exemplary job at defining precisely what a 21st Century Learner looks like. 




The 21st Century Learner from Kim Cofino



Addition resources that contributed include:



Teach Like A Pirate by Dave Burgess


P21 Framework Definitions by Partnership for 21st Century Skills

21st-CenturyLearner by Mark Stevens


A New Culture of Learning by Thomas, D., & Seely Brown, J.


How do I adapt to change in my environment?


“Enjoying success requires the ability to adapt. Only by being open to change will you have a true opportunity to get the most from your talent” –Nolan Ryan


Being able to adapt to change within your environment is an essential skill to master according to the P21 Framework (2009).   Over the past few years as a result of the shift in our education school systems, I’ve had several different situations in which I’ve needed to respond/adapt to change.  One big change deals with the increased need to include digital tools or program within the classroom.  Due to this sudden change I’ve had to learn several tools and programs all at once. While overwhelming at first, I’ve learned several strategies that I can use to cope with this demand.  One strategy is to allow myself time to just play with the technology.  Experience it for myself.  In addition to my own experiences, I know that I can also find useful information about certain programs on the web. One website that I found, in which I frequent a lot this year is called Atomic Learning. Atomic Learning is an online training resource that offers thousands of tutorials on current technology tools and programs that could be used within the classroom.  I’ve used this site over a dozen times to help figure out how to use programs such as Prezi and notebook, as well as how to perform specific tasks using my Smart Board. Although I am not fond of the time it takes to learn all these programs, I do it because I know it will benefit my students in the long run.  I know that by learning these tools I will be better able to “engage students with real world data, tools and experts they will encounter in college, on the job, and in life . . .” (P21, 2009). Simply learning about different technology tools/programs is not enough however, I must also figure out how to creatively use those tools to help facilitate my students learning.  Due to my limited experience, I rely heavily on research I conduct online.  In addition to research, which is primarily one sided (me looking for the data), I am now beginning to engage with my PLN more.  I am using technology tools such as blogging and twitter and expanding my Professional Network to include people whom of which I’ve never met before.  While this in itself doesn’t sound too impressive to most, it’s a big step for me.

In addition to the strategies I noted above, some other useful strategies I use to adapt to change include:


-Taking a step back and re-evaluating the situation
Being able to pause and reflect upon the positives or negatives of something is an act of critical thinking.  Although I might not agree with the change at first, taking a step back and looking at it through an objective point of view will allow for me to see the positives and help me understand why the change is happening. 

-Be open to new ideas
Change is inevitable.  In order for things to get better in most situations, is for something to change.  Throughout my 4 years of teaching I have seen so many changes happen that I’ve lost count.  Being open to changes means that I am admitting I don’t know everything about every subject.  By accepting of change I will not only make my life easier and less stressful, I am bettering my teaching skills and my students learning as well.

-Embrace your mistakes
We all make mistakes!  Once we accept that, it becomes possible to learn and make educated decisions on what we would do differently next time. By understanding that I’ve made a mistake in the way that I’m teaching, I begin the process of changing/modifying it.  By admitting and embracing mistakes I am being understanding that not all lessons work, not all students *get it the way I’ve originally taught it, or that they all get it in just one try.  If something fails, perhaps it’s time to take a step back and approach it from a different situation.  Change is not bad! Sometimes it’s the BEST thing I could do for my students!

-Talk about it-collaborate
As much as I would like to say I know all the answers, I know that I don’t.  During change it’s important to be able to converse about it if needed. By doing so I will be able to understand the reasons behind the change more, and get the support I need to follow through with the change.  We learn so much from our colleagues and others in our PLN, it’s important that we collaborate as much as necessary.

Resources that help with adapting to change:

-Knowing the 21st Century Frame work-this site is perfect for understand the expectations we as teacher’s are held to in order to get our students prepared for life.

-Atomic Learning  -An online tutorial site to help learn about programs/tools used in the classroom. 

-Classroom 2.0 -This is an online professional learning network that is focused on technology.  There are thousands of blog/forum posts from teachers all over the world talking about how they use certain programs in the classroom.  What tools work best?  What programs are perfect for certain grade levels?  It also provides hundreds of lesson plans that help integrate several of these programs. 

-The Educator’s PLN - An online professional learning network site.  By joining this site you are able to get insight from teachers around the world are struggling with, rejoicing in and the like.  This site is full of educators just like us, going through the same things we’re going through.



How do I support my students in adapting to change?

Since change is an inevitable within the classroom, it’s important for my students to be able to deal with it as well.  Some of these ways are similar to what I do to adapt to change.  One way in which I help my students adapt to change, such as a new technology tool or program, is to build time within my lessons for them to experience it first hand.  I do this by giving them about 10 minutes to play around with it.  I make sure to put a timer in the front of the room so students (and myself!) know how much time they actually have.  Doing this also assures that I’m not shorting them on time-or giving too much.  When I allow this type of play to happen I am embracing and building upon their natural curiosities.  Doing this before a project deems not only helpful for me, but also for them, as they are able to figure out a lot of things (meaning less instructions for me to give) and they often figure out more things than I and therefore are actually able to teach ME about something I hadn’t know.   

In addition to this I am providing students with a safe environment to experiment and test the tool before we use it. I found in the past that when I hadn’t allowed for this type of *play* to happen, more student were confused and tended to be off task.  They were also less inclined to take risks and figure out how the program actually worked.  Once I started building in time for exploration of the program before I taught it, I began noticing a larger percentage of students were able to get started right away on an assignment. I also noticed I didn’t need to spend as much time on directions, nor did I have to repeat them as often.  Students were on task and engaged with the assignment.  I also discovered that students were more willing to take risks and get creative with their projects. Students were beginning to have fun with not only the exploration of the tool, but the process in which they would go through in order to complete the assignment.  They were engaged and as a result begun to produce a better quality of work.

 
One area that I believe I could work on with my students is creativity.  Often I find myself so stuck on the standards, that I miss out on all the opportunities and projects that would allow students to be creative while still learning.  I find that those types of projects panic me.  I am often so worried that these types of projects will take too long.  But after what I’ve learned about this type of learning (project-based) I’ve learned that by allowing my students to be able to partake in these projects students will be able to learn at a higher level, and often get more meaning out of the project.  I would very much like to begin using this type of mindset within the classroom. It’s time to be less afraid and take risks.  I can support this change in the way I teach, by allowing tutoring time on the project after school as well as allowing for extra time for the first few projects.  By explaining to my students why I am changing the way I teach, will also prove to be beneficial.  By showing my support I know that students as well as myself will be able to adapt easier and be more open to what is in store for us!



References

21st Century Schools
        
Blair, N. (2012, January/February). Technology integration for the new 21st century learner. Principal. Retrieved from http://www.naesp.org/sites/default/files/Blair_JF12.pdf

Burgess, D. (2012). Teach like a pirate. San Deigo, CA: Dave Burgess Consulting, Inc.

How do you define 21st-century learning?. (2010, October 11). Education Week. 04(01), 32. Retrieved from http://www.edweek.org/tsb/articles/2010/10/12/01panel.h04.html

P21 Framework Definitions. (2009). Partnership for 21st Century Skills. Retrieved from http://www.p21.org/storage/documents/P21_Framework_Definitions.pdf

Stevens, M. (2011, Summer). 21st-century learner. NEA Today Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.nea.org/home/46989.htm
        
Thomas, D., & Seely Brown, J. (2011). A new culture of learning cultivating the imagination for a world of constant change.

Websites

http://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-PowerPoint-to-Blogger





 
The Educator’s PLN http://edupln.ning.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment