Sunday, November 3, 2013

Week 8 Blog reflections #Etlead


Amber Hanson
Week 8 Blog reflections

1. What new resources, curated resources, or ideas did you share this week?

One new resource I shared this week was Cornell Notes.  I shared this resource with Tracey after I read her blog this week where she discussed how she’s seen and how she’s used Socratic discussions within her classroom.  In the past, in one of my high school courses I was taught how to participate in a Socratic Seminar.  My teacher at the time used Cornell notes as method of note taking, as well as question asking. We were encouraged to pull out main ideas and to ask questions about the topic on the left hand side of the paper.  We questioned our readings, we questioned everything!  From there we would come prepared for our Socratic Seminar with our notes, ready to discuss and ask questions.  This was a really great class and I honestly felt like I learned so much about inquiry, as well as note taking.  We felt safe in asking questions, and didn’t feel judge by others with the direction that the discussion went to.  In these seminars one would be encouraged to ask a question, and then at least 3 individuals were encouraged to respond back to the original question, either asking more questions that were related, or giving providing evidence towards it’s answer.  In addition to using the original Cornell notes questions we constructed, we were also taking notes of the discussion, where we were encouraged to ask even more questions! 

What did you intend these new resources, curated resources, or ideas to do in terms of impacting others' learning? 

I intended this resource I shared to help in having students come prepared for discussion, as well as give them an outline to discuss and ask questions. By using this note taking strategy the educator can assure that students are discussing the content while still engaging in a meaningful inquiry process.

What would you do differently next week?

Honestly I would like to make sure I actually am able to turn in my work on time (before the Sunday due date)!

No comments:

Post a Comment