Saturday, November 16, 2013

Philosophy of Adaptation






“Creatively adapting to change on our path to life-long learning”




           
            Identifying reoccurring themes that occurred throughout my research as well as important terms I felt embodied the concept of “21st Century Learning” helped build the foundation for my motto. This compilation of terms was combined to create an image using the online program Tagxedo. From there I pinpointed the terms I felt were the most important and developed my motto from there.

            I chose this motto because I believe one of the key skills a person needs in order to successfully adjust to the 21st Century Learning is the ability to adapt to change. The concept of change is an idea that I encountered several times throughout my research.  Adapting to change is also one of the key components identified in the Partnership for 21st Century Skills Framework (2009). Simply adapting to change isn’t enough, however, we must do it in a way that is creative, innovative and in a way that prepares students to be learners for life.   

            Several resources influenced the direction I took with my motto.  One I found that I would like to share is a PowerPoint by Kim Cofino that I believe exemplifies precisely what a 21st Century Learner looks like.


The 21st Century Learner from Kim Cofino




Addition resources that contributed include:



Teach Like A Pirate by Dave Burgess


P21 Framework Definitions by Partnership for 21st Century Skills

21st-CenturyLearner by Mark Stevens

A New Culture of Learning by Thomas, D., & Seely Brown, J.


How do I adapt to change in my environment?


“Enjoying success requires the ability to adapt. Only by being open to change will you have a true opportunity to get the most from your talent” –Nolan Ryan


Being able to adapt to change within your environment is an essential skill to master according to the P21 Framework (2009).   Over the past few years as a result of the shift in our education school systems, I’ve had several different situations in which I’ve needed to respond/adapt to change.  One big change deals with the increased need to include digital tools/program within the classroom.  Due to this sudden change I’ve had learn several tools/programs all at once. While overwhelming at first, I’ve learned several strategies that I can use to cope with this demand.  One strategy is to allow myself time to just play with the technology.  Experience it for myself.  In addition to my own experiences, I know that I can also find useful information about certain programs on the web. One website that I found, in which I frequent a lot this year is called Atomic Learning. Atomic Learning is an online training resource that offers thousands of tutorials on current technology tools and programs that could be used within the classroom.  I’ve used this site over a dozen times already this year to help figure out how to use programs such as Prezi and notebook, as well as how to perform specific tasks using my Smart Board. Although I am not found of the time it takes to learn all these programs, I do it because I know it will benefit my students in the long run.  I know that by learning these tools I will be better able to “engage students with real world data, tools and experts they will encounter in college, on the job, and in life . . .” (P21, 2009). Simply learning about different technology tools/programs is not enough however, I must also figure out how I can use those tools to help facilitate my students learning.  Due to my limited experience, I rely heavily on research I conduct online.  In addition to research, which is primarily one sided (me looking for the data), I am not beginning to engage with my PLN more.  I am using technology tools such as blogging and twitter and expanding my Professional Network to include people whom of which I’ve never met before.  While this in itself doesn’t sound too impressive to most, it’s a big step for me.

In addition to the strategies I noted about, some other useful strategies I use to adapt to change include:


-Taking a step back and re-evaluating the situation
Being able to pause and reflect upon the success or failure of something is an act of critical thinking. 

-Be open to new ideas
Change is inevitable.  By being open to new ideas you are showing flexibility.

-Embrace your mistakes
We all make mistakes!  Once we accept that, it become possible to learn and make educated decisions on what we would do differently next time.

-Ask for help-collaborate
As much as I would like to say I know all the answers, I know that I don’t.  During change it’s important to be able to ask for help if needed.  It’s also important to communicate/collaborate with others. 

Resources that help with adapting to change:
       -Atomic Learning  


How do I support my students in adapting to change?

In this section, describe the manner in which you give your students practice and support which will assist them in working in an ever-changing environment. If you are not yet using these strategies, describe how you may begin to use them as you move forward helping students adjust to 21st Century Learning and the 21st Century Economy.

A few of the ways in which I help support my students in adapting to change are similar to how I deal with it.  More often than not, when students are learning about a new program or technology tool I always build in time for them to *play* with it first.  By providing students with this opportunity I am embracing their natural curiosities and allowing them a safe environment to experiment and test the tool out before we use it.  I found in the past that when I didn't allow for this *play* time before hand, more student were off task and those that did follow directions were less incline to take risks with a program in fear that they would get in trouble. Once I started building in time for exploration of the program before I taught it, I began noticing a larger percentage of students were on task.  I also discovered that students were more willing to take risks and get creative with their assignments. Students were beginning to have fun with not only the exploration of the tool, but the process in which they would go through in order to complete the assignment.  They were engaged and as a result begun to produce more quality work.

One area that I believe I could give my students practice and support in to help deal with change could be in the area of collaboration.  While I do have students work in groups and pairs in class, collaboration and communication with others outside of class is limited. I would like to somehow change this, but other than using blogs (we've tried before...it was an utter failure), I am at a loss of ideas...


References

21st Century Schools
      
Blair, N. (2012, January/February). Technology integration for the new 21st century learner. Principal. Retrieved from http://www.naesp.org/sites/default/files/Blair_JF12.pdf

Burgess, D. (2012). Teach like a pirate. San Deigo, CA: Dave Burgess Consulting, Inc.

How do you define 21st-century learning?. (2010, October 11). Education Week. 04(01), 32. Retrieved from http://www.edweek.org/tsb/articles/2010/10/12/01panel.h04.html

P21 Framework Definitions. (2009). Partnership for 21st Century Skills. Retrieved from http://www.p21.org/storage/documents/P21_Framework_Definitions.pdf

Stevens, M. (2011, Summer). 21st-century learner. NEA Today Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.nea.org/home/46989.htm
      
Thomas, D., & Seely Brown, J. (2011). A new culture of learning cultivating the imagination for a world of constant change.

http://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-PowerPoint-to-Blogger





 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amber. I like that you used wordle to come up with you motto. I was playing around with your motto and your wordle and came up with this: Collaboratively and creatively adapting to critical change to relevant learning. I used more of your larger words in wordle assuming that those words were important to your motto.

    Also, a couple of typo errors in your writing: "I am not found of the time" I think should be "fond." You wrote "I am not beginning to engage with my PLN more." I was confused by this. Do you mean you want to engage more? And finally, "directions were less incline," I think you meant inclined. Since it is a final paper, I thought you might want the editing remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber - nice motto - I like the "creative" part especially, because it implies that just learning a software program, typing a document, or sending an email is nowhere near enough. To me it implies that students will need to use technology to enhance their creativity and to look for ways to innovate. This will surely help them adapt to change, and in all likelihood keep them in a job! :)
    My only suggestion is that you keep the focus on that. You stress (convincingly) the need for students to use technology creatively to adapt to change. How have creativity and innovation been a part of your ability to adapt? How can you work in that all-important creativity factor when teaching your students to adapt to change? I'd suggest weaving that in with what you have to keep your focus - it shows you "walk the talk".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber,
    I like that you included a Power Point presentation, something I would not have thought of doing. I also liked you Tagxedo creation! I think it would be fun for my first graders to try! Your strategies for yourself can easily be shared by your students. Share your thinking out loud when you are applying strategies. Play first is what I do with my first graders. I always give them time to explore the manipulatives or tools before starting the lesson. With my fifth grade students that I tutor, I often just give them the site, and have them play with it. They quickly discover everything I would have taken them to anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your philosophy.

    Good: It was wonderful how you talked about looking at research to identify best practices to be added to your learning.

    Questions: Where do you generally go for your research? Where do you look these things up?

    Suggestions: You mentioned that you need to give students time to explore. Maybe you could set a timer when you decide to do this, and just let them go. That way you actually do let them have all the time you planned on. I am a bad judge of time, and I would proobably short them.

    ReplyDelete